Sunday, April 11, 2010

Alignment

Whenever I just happen to run into anyone in the city, it always amazes me. So many things have to align at the right moment to make it happen. There are friends that live 4 blocks away from me that I never just happen to run into, so when I run into someone that doesn't live in my area, it's even more crazy to me.

I was out until around 3:30am - a story that I'll write in a little bit. I couldn't sleep past 9am which was really fucking annoying for obvious reasons. I finally decided to get out of bed at around 10 or 10:30. I was thinking that I should shower, but I really wanted to get out of the house by 11. I can't explain why 11, but that was the time that I set for myself.

I started out by getting an egg and cheese sandwich at the corner deli (yum), then grabbed a cappuccino at my favorite coffee place, which is a little out of the way, but so worth it. There was a huge line. I took my dog with me and ended up running into a old friend from work. He's been living near me for 5 months and this is only the second time I've seen him. We talked for a bit and then I walked back towards the dog park.

When I was almost there, I looked to the left and thought that I saw my ex-ex crossing to my side of the street. Not the journalist, but the one before her - a musician. I hadn't seen her in over 4 months. We've only exchanged one email during that time, that was just a short "Doing ok? Me too." kind of email.

I stared at the girl for a few seconds trying to figure out if it was her. She didn't see me. She went the opposite direction and at first I was just going to let her go. Then I realized that was a stupid idea that I'd regret, so I turned back around.

I almost waited too long and didn't see her in front of me anymore. Shit. She must have turned down a street. I turned down the first street I could and saw her again. Phew.

When I got close enough, I could see a tattoo on the back of her right calf (that I forgot she had) and she was wearing the same tevas that she wears whenever it's warm outside. Definitely her. I called her name and she turned around.

She lives about 70 blocks straight north of me - a million miles in this city. One of her best friends lives about 2 blocks away from me, so I suppose it wasn't impossible that I would run into her, but I've never seen her best friend.

As I walked away, I was really glad I had skipped that shower. And that I stopped at the deli. And that there was a long line at the coffee place. And that I ran into my old work friend. And that my ex-ex happened to have gotten off the subway at the time that she did. Alignment.

It was really good to see her. It was really hard to see her. Not a day has gone by since we broke up that I haven't thought about her. Cheesy, I know, but true. I have no idea if she's dating anyone. Our break up was mutual - actually, technically, I broke up with her - but I took it a lot harder than she did.

When she walked away, she said that we should meet up for coffee.

I'm not stupid enough to think that we're going to get back together, but I would be lying if I said that I wouldn't mind that happening (yes, that's an understatement...).

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how things just line up. Fate, my friend, is an amazing thing and something I really believe in.

    PS: Must be amazing living in NYC and having things just an arm's length away. I have never been further north than DC and have to get in my car to get drink or a pack of smokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really believe in fate. I have mixed feelings though about what the purpose was of running into her. Maybe I'll see it further down the road.

    It is amazing living here!

    ReplyDelete