Monday, April 19, 2010

Solo

Two Saturdays ago, I went to a bar by myself. My friend was supposed to go with me, but had to cancel at the last minute (for a good reason).

I was ready to go, so I went by myself. I couldn't imagine staying in that night. I decided that the worst thing that would happen is that I would stay for a drink and if I was uncomfortable, I'd just leave.

I don't do this often. I did this once when I was living in California and once about six months ago, the night that the musician and I broke up.

I got to the bar and it was packed - so crowded that I could barely get to the back just to see if I knew anyone there. I didn't know anyone though, so I moved back to the front.

I saw a little space in between two sets of people at the bar, so I squeezed in and ordered a drink.

(It has nothing to do with the story, but the Saturday night bartender is hot)

It turned out to be a good spot because the couple on my left were getting ready to leave and eventually did, so I scored a seat. I think I was on my second drink by that time.

Two Irish girls ended up sitting next to me - Irish, as in born in Ireland, with accents.

(I love accents)

We ended up talking for a few hours and traded off buying rounds of drinks.

One of the girls was straight and the other was bisexual. I wasn't really interested in either, but if I had been interested in one, it would have been the straight one (typical).

Another set of girls came a little bit later and sat near us. One of them sent us a note and when I read it, I saw that it was on a Walmart receipt. The person had purchased a bunch of random things, but the thing that caught my eye was baby wipes. Baby wipes?

It turned out they were moms from Pennsylvania. A couple of them were hot but not my type at all - and not because they were moms. They seemed like the type of girls that thought it would be fun to come to the city and try to pick up women. I'm willing to bet they were married.

They were fun though and we all hung out for a bit longer. I ended up talking to a Canadian girl that was hanging out with the moms but didn't know them before that night. It turned out that her birthday was the day after mine. She was cute, but too short for me (yes I'm picky).

In the end, I stayed somewhere between 4 and 5 hours, had 5 drinks and I got the bi Irish girl's number and the Canadian's.

(As I read that last sentence, it may sound like I'm bragging --- I'm not. I'm pretty sure that neither was interested in me either and the numbers were exchanged as friends...)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome for you!!

    PS: I dig accents too! They are fucking sexy!

    ReplyDelete